From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 11:19:27 CST

Hi,
  The startup messages indicate that your video card lacks a proper
driver, and that you're getting a software fallback (Mesa) OpenGL
implementation. You will need to install a hardware accelerated
video driver for your system by downloading and installing the appropriate
driver from the vendor of your video chipset/GPU.