From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 15:26:55 CDT

Hi,
  It sounds to me like VMD is running your system out of virtual memory
when you load the 3.5 GB DX file. There are two likely possibilities here:
  1) If you're running a 32-bit version of VMD, it won't be able to
     successfully load a DX file that large, even if your system has
     several gigabytes of physical memory. You _must_ use the 64-bit
     version of VMD for datasets that large.

  2) If your system doesn't have sufficient physical memory, you'll either
     begin paging the system to death (if you have significantly more
     virtual memory), or the memory allocations will fail and the program
     will either return an error or terminate depending on where and how
     the allocation failure occurs.

Since you didn't say anything about getting warnings or seeing the system
run out of physical/virtual memory, I suspect that your problem is 1), and
that you need to run the 64-bit version of VMD.

Let me know if you need more help with this.