From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 14:35:25 CDT

Geoff,
  If your building against Python 2.5, I think you'll have a much
easier time using the current VMD CVS sources rather than the 1.8.6
tree, as we've been specifically updating the code for Python 2.5 and NumPy.
Regarding the other optional components like NetCDF, the Spaceball, and
other features, you can individually turn those on and off in the VMD
configuration flags if you like. This is all described in the
VMD Programmer's guide on the web.