From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 15:34:55 CDT

Hi,
  I'm CCing VMD-L so others that may be interested will benefit from
this information as well. There are two issues to be aware of
with running VMD in text mode on MacOS X (with the standard OSX build of VMD):
  1) In order to run VMD in text mode, you'll need to execute the
     startup.command script, like this (you'll need to use the
     full path to the script):
     /path/to/.../VMD\ 1.8.6.app/Contents/MacOS/startup.command -dispdev text

  2) When running the normal MacOS X builds of VMD, the low-level MacOS X
     libraries we link against want to be able to make a connection to the
     windowing system even when we're running in non-graphical mode, for
     whatever reason. This means that the user running the text mode version
     has to be logged into the console, otherwise you'll get a complaint
     from the MacOS X runtime system and it'll terminate the program.

  3) If you want something that's independent of the windowing system,
     for use on a cluster or something similar, you can get this by compiling
     VMD from source more like you would for a Linux machine. Let me
     know if you need help with this.