From: Brendan O'Malley (brendan.omalley_at_rmit.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 04:55:13 CST

Hello All,

We have a postdoctoral position available immediately that would suit someone experienced with VMD and NAMD. It is an interactive molecular dynamics project using a recently acquired Phantom haptic device and is in collaboration with our universities Virtual Reality Centre (I3) and the Victorian supercomputing centre (VPAC). The position description is below for anyone interested.

Best regards

Brendan O'Malley

Position Description

We are currently seeking an individual to work in the area of computational modeling within the research group of Prof. David Mainwaring in the department of Applied Chemistry at RMIT University Melbourne, Australia. The group is involved in a number of projects developing novel biosensors using a range of biological and polymer materials and is looking for recent PhD graduates with a proven background in a relevant computational field to complement their experimental work.

The project will focus on the modeling of fluorescent proteins and their application to biosensors and will require close collaboration with experimentalists. A novel component of this project will be the application of interactive molecular dynamics using a recently acquired (Phantom) haptic device to the investigation of probe/target binding. The project is one component of a larger combined Haptic/AFM/Molecular modeling research program that is part of the recently funded Nanotechnology Victoria initiative. This work will be carried out in collaboration with the Science School at Griffith University, Brisbane.

A Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry or Physics is required with a background in computational modeling. Experience in modeling protein and/or polymer systems will be an advantage but is not essential.

Further information may be obtained from Prof. David Mainwaring (telephone: (0613) 9925-2125; fax: (0613) 639-1321; e-mail: david.mainwaring_at_rmit.edu.au).

Dr. Brendan O'Malley
Applied Chemistry Dept
RMIT University

Email: brendan.omalley_at_rmit.edu.au