From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 18:31:54 CST

Hi,
  As far as I know, VMWare doesn't allow the use of
hardware accelerated OpenGL graphics. When your VMD 1.8a29
starts up, what does it give for the "OpenGL Renderer:" string??
This would tell us a lot. If VMWare _IS_ getting hardware
acceleration, then it must be a trickier problem, but my
first guess is that you're being forced to use a software
OpneGL renderer, which would completely explain why your
CPU is getting pegged during the time that VMD runs.

Thanks,