From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 13:44:19 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, you can change the default representation in a number of ways.
One of the easy ways is to set your preferred defaults using the
"mol default" commands, e.g.:
  mol default color {colorID 5}
  mol default style {NewCartoon 0.300000 6.000000 4.100000 0}
  mol default selection {name CA}
  mol default material {Transparent}

If you read Axel's CPMD-VMD tutorial, I believe he's also shown how
to accomplish similar things using other methods, which could be made
even more sophisticated if you want to do different reps depending on
what type of structure is loaded. Without going into the details since
it's preliminary, I plan to extend VMD to allow people to do this far more
easily in future versions.