From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 10:34:44 CST

Hi,
  Yes, you can write to files using the Tcl "open", "close", and
"puts" commands, and other variations:
  http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/open.htm
  http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/close.htm
  http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/puts.htm

You can do "set foo [ some VMD/Tcl commands ]" to put the results
of VMD commands into a variable, and then use
"puts $myfile $foo" to write it out, or you can even do things
like: "puts $myfile [some VMD/Tcl command]"
In both cases, $myfile is what you get back from calling "open" on
a file.

Thanks,