From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 22:48:14 CDT

Dear Evan,
  The MacOS X version of VMD is not yet able to dynamically load plugins.
This is one of the things we have yet to finish in the new Mac versions of
VMD. It should be a relatively simple matter, in that Macs have dynamic
linking capabilities, they just aren't done the same way they are on
other Unix systems, so we'll have to write special code or use a
POSIX compatibility library to emulate the libdl functionality we use
on other Unix systems. For now, if solvate is critical for you, I'd
say use one of the other supported platforms to run your solvate job,
and hopefully we'll get dynamic linking up and running on the Mac
before too long.

Thanks,