From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 18:49:35 CDT

Dear Jill,
  VMD is pretty Joystick agnostic, it should work with almost any
2-axis joystick, and can work with the more sophisticated ones, though
it does not make use of all of the potential axes. Let us know if you
have a specific question about any particular kind of joystick. And yes,
they support translation, rotation, and zooming.

If you're serious about getting a better input device, I highly recommend
the Spaceball and Magellan devices, which are often available at very low
prices on Ebay. They are both far superior to a regular joystick, and can
often be had for about $50, sometimes less, if you get them used.

Since 3dconnexion now owns both devices, a single Windows driver runs
either device, I assume that the driver works fine on XP, though I haven't
personally tried yet:
  http://www.3dconnexion.com/

Here's an example search for Spaceballs on Ebay:
  http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=spaceball&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&CATEGORY0=160&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

I see several Spaceball 2003 models on Ebay right now for $25.00, that's a
really good price.

  John