From: Russell Poyner (rpoyner_at_facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:18:43 CDT

If anyone cares.

I had posted earlier on a problem getting the linux openGL version of VMD
working under linux using the comercial Xserver from Xi Graphics. The
problem was that either VMD or X or the whole system would crash when I tried
to view a large molecule surface using surf or msms. As it turns out the
problem was due to using the wrong versions of libGLU and libGL. The Xig rpm
tries to set up it's own versions of these when it installs, but for some
reason my system was using the Mesa versions of these. Removing Mesa from
the system with rpm -e --nodeps cured the problem.

I can now recomend the Xig server to fellow vmd users, especially if your
video card is not well supported in Xfree like my radeon 7500, and 8500.

Russell Poyner