From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 12:57:52 CDT

Hi,
  To use the draw or graphics commands with your own materials,
you first need to define your material with the material editor
if you're not using one of the two default materials "Opaque" and
"Transparent". Once the materials are defined, you can use a command
like this to draw things with that material property (case sensitive):
  draw material Transparent

Or for your own material name:
  draw material MyNeatoMaterial

If you need to have graphics objects with different materials, then you'll
need to use the "graphics" commands with ID tags to differentiate which
one you're working on, etc. This is documented in the User's guide
here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.7.1/ug/node167.html

The graphics/drawing interface is changing slightly for VMD 1.8, but
if you do your work on VMD 1.7.1 it should be easy to update later.

Enjoy,