From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:27:41 CDT

Hi,
  To my knowledge, there are a very small selection of video boards
that provide good hardware acceleration on Linux. The NVida boards
provide very good performance on Linux, but you may have to use their
older drivers due to stability problems that seem to have cropped up
in their recent driver releases. I've heard that the high-end ATI
FireGL boards have Linux drivers, and that The 3DLabs cards may have
drivers available as well, but I have no personal experience with either
of those boards under Linux.

Here are links to the Linux driver pages I'm currently aware of for
each of these boards:
  http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux
  http://www.ati.com/support/products/workstation/firegl4/linux/firegl4linuxdrivers.html
  http://www.3dlabs.com/support/drivers/index.htm (commercial drivers only?)