From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 10:06:09 CST

Dear Francesco, and VMD-L,
  Since you didn't specifically mention which video card you're
using, I'll assume a run of the mill graphics board that lacks the
stereo output connector found only on higher-end cards.
This being the case, I think your best bet is to go with the
"Eye3D Premium" stereo glasses, which support a line-blanking
stereo mode. To use them, you just wire up their controller box
between your video card and your monitor, plug in its USB cable for
power, set it to line blanking mode (3rd mode IIRC), and set VMD 1.7.1
or later to "scanline interleaved" stereo mode. The only configuration
you will have to check on is to be sure that your video board can support
VMD with an OpenGL stencil buffer, and you can determine this by trying out
the scanline interleaved stereo mode before you even buy the stereo glasses,
and make sure that VMD works correctly with it.

On the higher end, I've heard that the ATI FireGL2 has a stereo connector,
and that their driver supports stereo on Linux, though I haven't personally
seen it work for myself yet.
If so, it is one of the only high-end accelerators to have stereo support
on Linux to my knowledge. One of these cards could drive the
CrystalEyes products that are normally found on Unix workstations
and CAD/CAM oriented graphics boards.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,