From: Margaret Cheung (cheung_at_physics.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 01:40:58 CST

Dear VMD developers,
THank you for your prompt reply.

I bought Dell Insprion 4100.

> 1) make sure you have the NVidia GeForce drivers installed on your
> system, and that they are working properly. This is important in
> order to take advantage of the hardware acceleration your GeForce2Go
> chips provide.

Yes, I got Nvidia drivers and kernels installed. There are setting
problems where the virtual screen is bigger than the physical screen, and
the manual from nvidia was not very helpful.
After several laborous testing, I figured out that after adding one line
in modules.conf (options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=3), the display worked.

> 2) Uninstall the "Mesa" version of VMD you had installed, and install the
> "DRI" or "OpenGL" version of VMD. The Mesa version of VMD does not
> take advantage of hardware acceleration, so you want to run the other
> version to get the best performance from your machine.

OK, I installed openGL version.

> 3) In order to get the VMD graphics window to appear in the correct place
> on your screen, you will want to edit the /usr/local/bin/vmd startup
> script, and edit the "setenv VMDSCRPOS" and "setenv VMDSCRSIZE" lines
> appropriately, these control the start position and size of the VMD
> graphics window..

OK. After changing VMDSCRIZE to smaller numbers, it works. Thank you very
much.

> Out of curiosity, what kind of laptop is it? We like to keep track of
> what equipment people are using, just to have an idea what's popular with
> our users.

Inspiron 4100 from dell.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,