From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 00:57:16 CDT

Hi,
  Thanks to a report from Angelo Rossi at IBM, we have found
and corrected problems with the AIX distributions of VMD 1.7.
The problems were caused by an out-of-date build script on a remote
AIX system we use to build the AIX versions of VMD, and it caused
the wrong versions of some Tcl scripts and the Tachyon ray tracer
that are packaged with VMD to be included in the AIX distribution tar
files. The problem is now fixed and new binary distributions have
been made available on the web site for those that have already
downloaded the AIX version.

I have also updated the VMD startup script included in the VMD
1.7 MacOS X distribution, to avoid a potential problem with a
missing "TMPDIR" environment variable. It is a trivial change,
but if anyone is experiencing trouble with their MacOS X installs
of VMD, (Tcl startup complains among other things), then this would
be a good thing to download as well.

Thanks to the timely problem reports we received, we were able to get
this fixed before the next 1500 or so people download the software :-)
(we usually get about 2,200 downloads of VMD, so far just about 415
 people have grabbed the binaries, so it was nice to get these two problems
 caught early)

Thanks,