From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 21:35:41 CDT

Dear Tyler,
  Apparently our local MacOS X installation (or our login scripts)
sets the TMPDIR environment variable which is why we hadn't seen this
problem previously. I just tried it out again, without setting that
variable, and I encountered the exact problem you describe below.
When the environment variable is set, I'm able to run Stride on
various molecules. I'm going to make a revision to the vmd startup
script to avoid the TMPDIR problem on MacOS X.

Does this sequence of commands work on your system:
  mol delete all
  mol pdbload 1tit
  mol modstyle 0 top Cartoon

Let us know how it turns out.