From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 15:07:16 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  We have recently been trying out TkCon as an alternative
VMD console, and though that others might also be interested.
TkCon provides many of the features found in popular unix shells
such as tcsh/bash etc, as well as Tcl syntax highlighting features
found in many of the newer programming IDE's for other languages.
TkCon also sports command completion (via both ESC and Tab keys) as
well as communication with other consoles. When you start TkCon with
the current versions of VMD, the new TkCon console is created in addition
to the existing VMD console. They work cooperatively, so both consoles
still run fine, and you can run commands in either one. I would be
interested in getting feedback from the VMD user community about the
use of TkCon in VMD, and would be curious to hear what people think about
a future version of VMD moving entirely to using a TkCon-like console
in place of what we have been using in the past. (or as an optional
feature if not everyone is happy with the idea..)

The VMD-compatible TkCon script is available here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/tkcon/

The original TkCon script and web site are here:
  http://www.hobbs.wservice.com/tcl/script/tkcon/

TkCon Screenshot:
  http://www.hobbs.wservice.com/tcl/script/tkcon/docs/demopic.gif

Thanks,