From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 11:29:57 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  We have just added a bunch of links to information on
stereo hardware, configuration, and compatibility to the
VMD 1.6 release notes for Windows and SGI machines. Anyone
having trouble getting stereoscopic rendering working on
any version of VMD should consult these references for
additional help. Many SGI machines need patches in order
to correctly support stereo, and beyond that there are instructions
for certain models of SGI which have to be set into particular
video modes for full stereo support in VMD. The commonly used
term for the stereo mode required by current versions of VMD
is "quad-buffered frame sequential stereo", the documents linked
to from the release notes also cover other types of stereo display
but quad-buffered is what VMD actually supports presently.

The main VMD 1.6 info/status page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.6/

Platform-specific release notes:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.6/winrelnotes.html
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.6/sgirelnotes.html

We are also collecting lists of consumer PCI/AGP video accelerators
which have been tested and are known to work with VMD. If you have had
success using VMD with a graphics accelerator/operating system that is
not on this list, please let us know.
The current list is here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.6/accelerators.html

We appreciate your comments and feedback.
Thanks for using VMD,