From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 19:45:08 CST

Hi,
  I just (yesterday) made another build of VMD 1.6a4 for Linux
with DRI, compiled on a different machine from the one that's
on the download page, because another VMD user had the dynamic
linker bug problem, and we found a machine here that did the same
thing. I don't know if it will cure your problem, but you might
try running this alternate version. This alternate version
calls itself "1.6b1" because I built it after the version crank,
but its really just another 1.6a4 build but on a different machine.
The alternate binary is available here:
  ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/vmd-1.6a4-1.bin.LINUX.opengl.tar.gz

Could you give this version a try and let us know if it works??
We just discovered this machine in our own lab that has the
"BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER" thing, and we're working with our sysadmins
to try and determine what the difference is between it, and the
rest of the linux boxes, since its the only one that does this here,
so that we can find a way to build VMD on linux that will produce
binaries that'll work much more universally.

If you can tell us more about your computer, that will also
help us.

Give the alternate binary a spin, it has already worked for one
person that was having the "BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER" it might
work for you too.

Thanks for your patience,