From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 14:46:47 CDT

Hi,
  I wanted to respond to Irene's question about a delayed VMD-L posting
and also announce some changes to the way the mailing list moderation
will occur.

Irene, I was on vacation a few days and so when I returned I had to manually
allow some VMD-L some posts that were being blocked due to size/content,
or lack of membership to the mailing list, and that's why it showed up
on the mailing list a day or two after the fact...

Going forward I will not be able to manually accept/reject automatically
blocked VMD-L postings anymore, due to the large volume of spam attempts
we get.

During the time I was away (about 10 days) VMD-L got around 2,000 attempted
spams, and in order to approve postings from people that aren't
members of VMD-L, or are posting to the mailing list from a different address
than they are subscribed from, I have to wade through all of the attempted
posts from spammers and the like in order to manually approve the
automatically blocked/filtered VMD-L postings.

>From here on out I'm planning to let non-subscribed posts be
blocked, and posts that are exceed the maximum size range etc will also
be blocked. This will save me a lot of time which I'll now be able to
spend on answering VMD questions and improving the program further.

For 99.9% of the VMD-L members this change will not be noticable,
but I've been silently doing a favor for those people that occasionally
post from a number of email addresses that are not the one they are
actually subscribed with. From now on these posts will be silently
blocked. If you send an email to VMD-L and don't get any response,
you may want to make sure that your mail was not blocked/filtered for
one of the reasons I mention above. Blocked/filtered emails do not appear
in the VMD-L email archive, so it is pretty easy to determine whether
or not your message went out.

At some point I may change VMD-L to use a more sophisticated list manager
package, so suggestions along those lines are welcome. This is your list,
and I am happy to hear comments and suggestions from everyone on improving it.