From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 15:36:02 CDT

Okay, so there are two versions of the same script, one in the vmd tutorial,
and one in the namd tutorial. The problem is, the one in the vmd tutorial
(rmsd-fullthrottle.tcl) is hard-coded to work only for ubiquitin (it
specifically references chain U). It also doesn't output anything to a
file. Furthermore, rmsd-fullthrottle.tcl adds a couple lines wrapping the
proc so that you can call it without any arguments.

Your protein likely doesn't have a chain U so the selection it makes in the
script is empty.

The solution: use residue_rmsd.tcl provided in the namd tutorial. It can be
found here:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/namd/namd-tutorial-files/2-1-rmsd/

After sourcing the script, you call it as recommended in the namd tutorial.
The script does assume your protein of interest only contains one segment;
this works for most cases, usually unless you are working with multi-protein
complexes.