From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 14:52:31 CDT

Hi,
  I'll have to investigate this carefully.

The "updmacro" method you suggest seems the more preferable implementation,
since it would only require re-evaluation of the specific selection
being updated and would thus have a bounded worst-case performance.

Updating all selections on every call to 'atomselect macro' would
incur big performance problems in cases where either very large/complex
structures and selections are being used, so I'm somewhat opposed to that
behavior although it would certainly be the easiest to use.

I'll have to look at this more when I return from travelling in two weeks.