From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 14:38:40 CDT

Yes, the whitespace in a PDB file MUST BE EXACT, that's what I meant
when I said it was a column-based file format. Please see the PDB
file format specifications for more details:
  http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/format23/sect9.html#ATOM

Note the specific columns that deliniate the fields within an ATOM record.