From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2007 - 13:24:30 CDT

Hi,
  I'm not sure what you're asking here. VMD preserves the original
coordinates of the structures after they are loaded. The viewing
transformations applied for graphical scaling/rotation/translation
are completely independent from the atom coordinates. You can
query the atom coordinates using a selection to verify this for
yourself:
  set sel [atomselect top all]
  $sel get {x y z}

If you're writing PDB files by hand, you need to make absolutely
sure that you've got the PDB columns lined up since it is a column
based format. If you write the coordinates into the wrong columns,
you'll get gibberish from VMD (and any other program....)