From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 16:12:51 CDT

Hi,
  there isn't an "-ion" option in the current versions of the solvate
plugin. (I'm actually not sure which version if any, ever had that option)
For ion placement, you'll want to use the autoionize plugin, or the 'cionize'
plugin/package. The autoionize plugin can be accessed through the
VMD extensions menu. The 'cionize' plugin/package can be downloaded
separately, or compiled as part of the current VMD plugin tree.