From: Jan Saam (saam_at_charite.de)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 11:35:09 CDT

Francesco,

Francesco Pietra schrieb:
> As I have a computational program that affords ESP
> RESP and CRESP charges reliably for a molecule that
> was cut into fragments and recomposed (with a check of
> dipole moments), is it possible to insert manually
> into paratool the charges so obtained (instead of
> computing them again by the procedure that you
> suggested)? Of course, I have a graphic control of
> which is which about all atoms, hydrogens included
> (and a control of the conformation). I am talking of
> molecules of 50-300 atoms, so that the manual transfer
> would not be too difficult.

You can simply put in the charges manually under Edit->"Atom properties".
Alternatively, you can also provide an XBGF file containing the charges
which you could probably generate from your files using a script. Just
load one of your molecules as base molecule and save it as xbgf. Then
you can take a look at the file. You would want to edit the 13th field
in the ATOM records.
For your convenience I attached a simple xbgf example file.
But since the result of your Paratool session will be CHARMM topology
and parameter files you could also edit these if the only thing you want
is charges.
> My computational program does not allow using the
> various FF, such as GAFF, which of my main interest.
> With the partial charges manually transferred as above
> said, I would like to try to go further on with
> VMD/NAMD using GAFF.

I'm not quite sure what your goal is. If you transfer the charges into
molecules used in Paratool, you will be able to write out a CHARMM
topology file containing the charges. This doesn't get you any closer to
simulating the using GAFF force field.
Again: VMD doesn't care about parameters and NAMD needs parameter files
as input. If you want to simulate the CHARMM FF you'll need CHARMM files
if you want to simulate AMBER/GAFF you will need AMBER/GAFF parameter
files. Since you want to use GAFF I would highly recommend that you
rather use AMBER's Antechamber tools (available for free). Within
Antechamber you can do all necessary file conversions, run RESP and you
can combine the appropriate files (including charges). I'm not at all
saying that it is easy and I have never done it myself, but there are
people doing it. The results will be proper AMBER/GAFF files that you
can use in simulation engnes like NAMD. Even if you want do do difficult
custom stuff, I suppose it is better and easier to stay within the GAFF
world since this is the FF of your choice. Paratool is (at this time)
mostly intended for CHARMM parameters.
> Incidentally, I got a bit confused by the second page
> of your "Paratool User's Guide", i.e., the way you
> decomposed aspartate. What I see is acetate and
> glycine as components.

I do't see any glycine I see N-methylacetamide. If you chop away HR3 of
N-methylacetamide and H2 of acetate and draw a bond between the two
associated carbons you'll have fused backbone and side chain.

Jan

Jan Saam
Institute of Biochemistry
Charite Berlin