From: Justin Gullingsrud (justinrocks_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 09:43:50 CDT

Hi Harry, Axel,

This is something I've been keenly interested in as well. I've
developed a version of VMD, still somewhat experimental, in which VMD
runs as a Python module; i.e., start a regular python session, then
"import vmdgui" and away you go. John Stone and I are still
discussing how we might roll this sort of feature out in such a way as
to best meet the needs of all the VMD users. Until then, as Axel
pointed out, you can still use the embedded python interpreter in VMD
on the platforms for which VMD supports it.

Cheers,
Justin

On 6/7/07, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Harry Bullen wrote:
>
> harry,
>
> do you mean, to have VMD imported into other python
> scripts or just use a python interpreter in VMD (instead of tcl).
>
> the latter has already been implemented (type 'gopython' in the
> command line window, or use 'gopython script.py'), the former
> is yet incomplete.
>
> HB> Hello, I am student working at NIST using the VMD. Several members of
> HB> the lab really want a python module for the VMD, and have asked me to
>
> it would be useful to learn what kind of application
> would be needing this. there might be alternatives.
>
> cheers,
> axel.
>
> HB> try and build one. I noticed that their has been some work on such a
> HB> module and I would really like to see it if at all possible.
> HB>
> HB> Harry Bullen
> HB> NIST

> Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu http://www.cmm.upenn.edu
> Center for Molecular Modeling -- University of Pennsylvania
> Department of Chemistry, 231 S.34th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6323
> tel: 1-215-898-1582, fax: 1-215-573-6233, office-tel: 1-215-898-5425

    I speak of certain afternoons in early fall, waterfalls of
immaterial gold, the transformation of the world, when everything
loses its body, everything is held in suspense,
    and the light thinks, and each one of us feels himself thought by
that reflective light, and for one long moment time dissolves, we are
air once more...
                      -- Octavio Paz, "I speak of the city"