From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 16:35:17 CDT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, lily jin wrote:

LJ> While I run a program, all the data are saved in the memory. How can
LJ> I remove them to clear the system memory, like what 'clear' does in
LJ> MATLAB? Thank you!

there is not a single command in tcl, if i remember correctly.
but you can unset variables and arrays. they are also
cleaned up when used locally in a subroutine.

the most memory loss in VMD is usually due to trajectory
data (you can delete molecules to free that) and from
creating selections without deleting them.

other than that, it is easier to exit VMD and start over.

do you have a specific problem or can you describe a
scenario where something akin to 'clear' would be
desirable?

cheers,
   axel.