From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 15:31:53 CDT

Hi,
  VMD itself doesn't allow you to add/delete atoms interactively.
The way structure editing like this is typically done is by saving
a subset of the original structure to a new file and then loading
the new edited structure into a new molecule in VMD. This is
(in part at least) how the molefacture plugi does structure building,
for example. If you have identified the water molecules you want
to eliminate by selecting them and adding labels, you can then create
an atom selection that excludes these, and write a new structure file
that eliminates them. (e.g. File->Save Coordinates)