From: Marcos Sotomayor (sotomayo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 31 2007 - 01:29:50 CDT

Hi Alison,

You may also want to look at the Tcl scripts found at the end of the VMD
tutorial:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/vmd/tutorial-html/node4.html#SECTION00045000000000000000
or at the end of the first unit in the NAMD tutorial:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/vmd/tutorial-html/node4.html#SECTION00045000000000000000

By modifying your "frame0" and "sel" selections you will be able to
select any part of the protein to perform the corresponding alignments and
rmsd calculations. You will need to create a different selection
("selall") to move the whole protein during the alignment, besides the
parts that were used to perform the alignment. The "frame0" selection can
also contain parts of a protein in a different molecule (like the protein
crystallized in complex with another subunit loaded as a different
molecule) or the first repeat of your protein ("protein and backbone and
noh and resid 1 to 33"). Let us know if you need more help.

Marcos