From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 15:32:26 CDT

Cesar,
  At present, in order to use the "snapshot" rendering method on Unix systems,
you must run VMD with a fully functional windowing system (either
by local connection or by setting DISPLAY appropriately). If you want
to run VMD in text mode, you can still use the various other rendering
methods like Tachyon, TachyonInternal, POV3, and other renderers
that don't need a connection to the windowing system.