From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 16:19:59 CDT

Hi,
  There are a few possibilities...
The video card in the Altix is almost certainly not the same as the
one in your laptop (if the Altix even has one). I think you have confused
the remote display connection to your laptop with what is on the Altix.
Unless you're sitting at a machine console for the Altix and running
glxinfo etc from there, the results you see from those commands are
derived from the hardware on the console of the machine you're using.

The Altix is a 64-bit bit machine, so when you run VMD on the Altix
but remote-display it to your laptop, you are using the 64-bit OpenGL
interface of your XFree86. From what I have seen, the 64-bit NVIDIA
drivers aren't exporting the GLSL extensions yet, and this is verified
by the output from 'glxinfo' that you provided in your previous email.
Since the Altix is 64-bit only, you don't have the ability to run a
32-bit VMD and display that to your laptop.

So, at the present time the only option is to get a 64-bit OpenGL
driver that supports GLSL. So far as I know, none of the 64-bit
drivers from any of the vendors do GLSL yet.