From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2007 - 10:38:45 CDT

Hi,
  In theory, you could simply make a new Win32 build target for Cygwin,
and compile using the cygwin gcc compilers etc. In the past this was not
possible because cygwin didn't work with OpenGL, but my understanding is
that this has finally been addressed. What would likely be needed to
accomplish this is to compile FLTK, Tcl/TK, the VMD plugins, and then
finally VMD itself using cygwin. This should be a relatively simple
matter of adding cygwin-specific build targets to the plugin Makefiles
and the perl 'configure' script. Have a look at these and let me know
if you need help.