From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 15:08:32 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, what you've got there looks correct for the use of the
VMD 'measure sasa' command. If you want to make sure that
you're calculating the accessible surface area for the right
part of your structure you can use the -points flag to store the
samples into a variable and feed them into VMD draw commands to
visually inspect the resulting sample points. That can also be
handy if you need to avoid internal pockets or voids and aren't sure
if they're affecting the result. I can't say anything regarding
the DSSP SASA method since I'm not personally familiar with it
at this time.