From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 12:31:16 CDT

Jim,
  Rather than using Surf or MSMS to calculate a solvent surface
for this structure, I'd suggest using the VolMap plugin to calculate
a density map synthesized from your atom coordinates. Surf and MSMS
both calculate solvent surfaces, and as such they expect the structure
not to have many atoms inhabiting the same space, nor to have atoms with
unusually large radii etc. Fortunately, the VolMap plugin in VMD should
be far more tolerant of these properties of your artificial structure.
I would expect it to generate a synthetic density map without problems.
The VolMap plugin is included in the "analysis" submenu of the VMD
Extensions menu. Check out the online help here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/volmapgui/

Once you've created a synthetic density map from your structure, you
can use the VMD Isosurface representation to render it.