From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 09:42:39 CST

Pawel,
  Yes, the VolumeSlice representation has been available for some time
and should work fine so long as you have a video card that supports
3-D (volumetric) texturing. You can check this by reading the VMD OpenGL
related startup messages. You should see a texturing info line like
the one I've pasted below:
  Info) OpenGL renderer: ZFB, VIS
  Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(16) MDE MTX GAS
  Info) Textures: 2-D (4096x4096), 3-D (512x512x512), Multitexture (4)

The important part of that status line is: "3-D (512x512x512)"

What video chipset are you using? Have you checked to make sure
that you're using the latest video driver available for your hardware?