From: pkmukher (pkmukher_at_olemiss.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 21:36:49 CST

Hello VMD users

I am a new user of VMD. I want to carry out a particular
orientation operation on my molecule(protein-ligand complex)
 In my case the ligand is situated in a cavity on the
surface of the protein. I intend to carry out a steered
molecular dynamics study. For this i require the
protein-ligand complex to be oriented such that the force
vector from the protein atom to the ligand atom be parallel
to two of the axis. That way when i construct the solvent
box i can keep it more elongated on the third axis to
accomodate for the ligand movement once it comes out of the
binding site.
As an alternative I tried to use the orient script which
orients on the basis of principle moments but i was not
successful. Is there a way to define the principle moments
on the basis of the ligand but carry out the reorientation
for the whole complex. Currently when i defined the
principle axis on the basis of the ligand it reoriented only
the ligand.

Thanks so much

Prasenjit Kumar Mukherjee
Graduate Student