From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 10:49:56 CST

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Omololu wrote:

O> Hi,
O>
O> could anyone pls help me with making my background
O> trnsparent with VMD? i would appreciate any
O> help/suggestions.

VMD does not do that by default. what usually works well
is to set the background to a color that is not used
elsewhere and then load the picture into a program like
GIMP, add an alpha channel, select by color and cut
this background away (i.e. greenscreen or bluescreen
procedure as it is used in tv backprojections).

O> (Actually, what i want to do is to remove the
O> background in a picture obtained with VMD & replace
O> this background with another background that i prefer.
O> Alternatively, does anyone know how to get a
O> background with a gradient using VMD. i.e., i do not
O> want a solid blue background, for example, but one
O> that is dark blue at one end & changes smoothly to a
O> lighter blue at the other end.)

this has been implemented in VMD by john stone very
recently. the current beta versions have this feature
and it will be in VMD-1.8.6.

cheers,
   axel.