From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 11:45:22 CST

Hi,
  Actually neither one of these suggestions is really workable,
as the safety checks prevent IEEE NANs from being used in the vertex
coordinate interpolation. I don't want to add any additional flags
controlling the safety checks as they are in a performance-critical
region of the code. Setting the gridpoint value to zero doesn't affect
the need for the test, as the test is required in conditions when the
_difference_ between gridpoint values or positions is nearly zero, which
can occur for many combinations of voxel values, for example. I'm going to
test an alternative equation for stability under conditions of IEEE NAN
input values and see if that works. If it does, then I'll remove the
safety checks and the quality of the surface should degrade smoothly up
until NAN occurs. Anyway, give me some time to work on it
and I'll let you know how it goes.

  John