From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 20:45:22 CST

Mario,
  I read through the ImageMagick source code today to figure out
why their BMP loader fails to properly load the BMP files created
by Tachyon. It turns out that their loader is expecting the color
count field to be set to zero. If it is set to any other value than
zero, their reader treats it as a PseudoColor image, regardless if it was
encoded as BI_RGB (24-bit RGB). If I set the color count field to zero,
then the ImageMagick utilities read it without trouble. I'll have to do
more testing to make sure that setting the color count field to zero doesn't
cause new problems with other packages that were reading these files
without problems previously. If nothing problematic occurs with the various
windows utilities etc, then I'll change the code to emit a zero in the
color count field rather than 2^24.

  John