From: Dr. Seth Olsen (seth.olsen_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 19:51:12 CST

Hi,

I am very interested in a VMD python module. Please consider me a cavy for
testing.

Cheers,

Seth

On 1/31/07, John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Mikolai,
> There is indeed interest/development going on towards having VMD
> runnable as a Python module rather than using a "door" in the existing
> Tcl interface to run Python scripts and commands.
>
> We've been working towaards making VMD buildable as a Python module
> off and on for a while, and we're getting close to having this done in
> a way that doesn't disrupt the rest of VMD.
> Justin has been developing various patches to refactor the text
> command interface of VMD so it can be loaded from Python and
> have Python optionally be the main text interface to the program.
> We've been slowly making the changes and testing the new builds to make
> sure things don't break, so this is why it isn't entirely finished yet.
>
> If people are interested in trying this out, we could make these
> patches available for testing by others like yourself, in the period
> before they're fully integrated into the standard VMD builds.
> You'd need to build from source, but we can help you do this if you want
> to try it out.
>
> Cheers,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 02:39:00PM -0800, Mikolai Fajer wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am trying to get integrate VMD into some analysis scripts written in
> > Python. Is there any planned development in getting VMD's
> > functionality availabe within Python? I am familiar with the python
> > build problems, as well as Justin's VMD module. It is particulary the
> > latter case that interests me, and is there planned development in
> > this direction? Thanks.
> >
> > --
> >
> > -Mikolai Fajer-

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms
Dr Seth Olsen, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomolecular Modeling Group
Centre for Computational Molecular Science
Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (Bldg. 75)
The University of Queensland
Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia
tel (617) 3346 3976
fax (617) 33654623
email: s.olsen1_at_uq.edu.au
Web: www.ccms.uq.edu.au
ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the positions of
the University of Queensland.