From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 01:03:19 CST

Trinh,
  The Windows version of VMD is presently compiled without support
for Python, see the bottom of the VMD windows release notes for some
Python links that describe the technical issues that are responsible
for this at the present time. In truth, I could probably compile
VMD with a subset of Python support on Windows, but without some
of the additional modules we want it wouldn't be worth doing, so
we're considering various alternative approaches to linking VMD
with Python which may be more amenable to the Windows platform.

You don't need Python in order to display Isosurface representations
in VMD, unless you're referring to some documentation in another
toolkit (not VMD) that needs Python for some reason. Let us know
if you have more questions about this.