From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 12:59:16 CST

Hi,
  If you're loading 20,000 frames, you'll need this much
available memory to load the trajectory:
  20000 frames * 12 bytes per atom * numatoms

So, if you have 100,000 atoms and 20,000 frames, you'd need:
  20000 * 12 * 100000 = 24 gigabytes of memory

If you had 10,000 atoms, then you'd only need 2.4GB of memory.

If you don't want to do the math, another way to evaluate the amount
of physical memory you'll need with the current versions of VMD is
to look at the size of the DCD file itself, which is basically the
same as the math above (unless you have fixed atoms).