From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 01:27:08 CST

Hi,
  You can edit the VMD startup script so it doesn't run the process
in a new xterm, and instead runs it within the existing shell/window
you ran it from. Have a look at the lines that test for the DISPLAY
environment variable towards the end of the 'vmd' script and you'll
see what I mean. The main things the startup script does are set
the default window position and size, and several environment variables
VMD uses to find it's installation location. Windows and MacOS X versions
of VMD do this using different techniques. They query the system
registry or use other system variables to find the installation location.
For the Unix versions of VMD, you can modify the VMD startup script
any way you like. In our lab for example, the VMD startup script we
use consults a master configuration file which sets the default window
position and size differently for different workstations depending on
their video hardware configuration, whether or not they have a
Spaceball or other 3-D input device, and so on. Let me know if you
need more assistance with modifying your VMD startup script.