From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 12:58:30 CDT

Vlad,
  You need to fix a couple of problems with that script.

The version you posted creates a new selection at each frame, which is
very slow, and unnecessary unless you're fundamentally changing what
is selected for each frame. In general, you want to use '$sel update'
for position-based selections (faster than re-creating from scratch), or
'$sel frame' for the simplest case (the one below) where the selected atoms
remain constant, and you're just stepping through frames.

Your original script also leaked selections, since they were not being
deleted within the loop. I wasn't sure why you placed the extra braces
around your variables, as that shouldn't be necessary, but I've left those
parts as you wrote them.

Try this version instead (or something like it):

 set numframes [molinfo 0 get numframes]
 set ref [atomselect 0 "resid ${resid_ref}"]

 for {set frame 0} {${frame} < ${numframes}} {incr frame} {
    $ref frame $frame
    set com_ref [measure center ${ref} weight mass]
 }
 $ref delete