From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2006 - 11:04:37 CDT

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Andrew Gormanly wrote:

hi andy,

AG> This is my first mail to this list, but I can't find anything in the
AG> archives directly related to this point, so I thought I'd ask the
AG> question: are the spec files or srpms of Axel Kohlmeyer's contributed
AG> Fedora builds supposed to be available, and if so, where are they?

they are in the biofs of the VMD public project under src/rpm.
you have to get a biocore account and join the 'VMD (public)' project.
this is the preferred way of exchanging data with developers, you get
access to test builds, deposit your own etc, etc.

AG> The unofficial build download page (
AG> https://biocore-s.ks.uiuc.edu/biocore/biofs/VMD%20(Public)/unofficial/vmd-1.8.5/index.html
AG> ) suggests so, but there's no obvious place to find them, and I get
AG> 404's on any semi-obvious guesses...
AG>
AG> I'd like to get VMD building as a RPM on RHEL 3 and 4, i386 and x86_64
AG> versions, and using Axel's spec files as a starting place would save me
AG> some work. I'd obviously be very happy to post the binaries as
AG> unofficial RPM builds once I get it working.

not that i want to discourage you, but there was somebody else trying
to do this a while ago and it is quite a challenge. unlike for
fedora core 4 and 5, you cannot use most of the native rpms, or
there simply are no official ones (not even in the extras). so
your best bet is to repackage the precompiled binary. i should
have a spec file for that, too (for RH-7.x, IIRC) that i could
deposit in the biofs as well, which may be helpful to you.

cheers,
   axel.