From: Michael Lerner (mglerner_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 17:15:53 CDT

Hi,

I tried on of the unofficial builds, but here's what happens when I
type gopython:

vmd > gopython
Info) Starting Python...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named VMD
Info) Text interpreter now Python

I tried compiling things myself, but it's a little harder than I
expected. I got netcdf installed and working via fink after setting
the appropriate LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and I got all of the plugins compiled
and installed, but I'm having trouble with FLTK at the moment. I'm
getting errors like this now:

Linking vmd_MACOSXX86 ...
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (../lib/tcl/lib_MACOSXX86)
does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (../lib/tk/lib_MACOSXX86) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (../lib/netcdf/lib_MACOSXX86)
does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: warning -L: directory name (../lib/fltk/MACOSXX86) does not exist
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -ltk8.4-x11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So, it may take quite a while for me to figure out how to install things.

Just to check, I went into the plugins directory and typed

make MACOSXX86

then I set an environment variable PLUGINDIR and moved the plugins
there and did "make distrib" from the plugins directory. In the VMD
directory, I uncommented the second version of macosx.x86.opengl and
used it. Is that the right thing to use? It looks like this:

macosx.x86.opengl:
        ./configure MACOSXX86 FLTKOPENGL FLTK IMD TK TCL SILENT SPACEBALL
PTHREADS LIBTACHYON ACTC NETCDF PYTHON NUMPY

I also tried the tried-and-true method of deleting things I didn't
understand, and ended up with this:

macosx.x86.opengl:
        ./configure MACOSXX86 OPENGL FLTK IMD TK TCL SILENT PTHREADS NETCDF
PYTHON NUMPY

But it looks like I still have some things to do before that'll work.
Does VMD want its *own* versions of tcl, tk, fltk, etc.?

Feel free to reply with "compiling this is hard; good luck" :).

Thanks,

-Michael