From: Neelanjana Sengupta (senguptan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 09:48:49 CDT

Hi Olaf,

Sorry about the confusions, but The functions "orhtonormal_basis" and
"basis_change" can be found in the pbcwrap.tcl script.

My problem here is somewhat more complicated than just finding periodic
boundary conditions.
I have a simulation of an 8-residue peptide. During each analysis step (ie.
at each frame), I have to orient each peptide bond such that C=O is along
the y-axis with C at the origin, and the (O=C-N) is in the x-y plane.
This involves 1 translation and 3 rotations, on my entire simulation box. So
now, I cannot simply use the cell basis vectors for finding the min. image
distance bewteen 2 atoms as [x_ij = x_ij - NINT(x_ij/ax) , etc].
The new orthogonal cell basis needs to be determined in place of ax, etc.

As suggested by Axel, I try to apply my transformation matrix (which is 4X4
in vmd) to my original cell basis. I think he said that this basis should
then be orthonormalized to obtain the new values of ax, etc.
This however is not working.....

I would really, really appreciate some help and suggestions in this problem.
Thank you and regards,

Neelanjana Sengupta
Graduate Student
Dept. of Chemistry