From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 21:36:44 CDT

Hi,
  Since this topic has come up a lot recently, a simple rule of thumb
is that when loading a DCD, you have to have as much free memory as
the size of the file you're planning to load (if you're not skipping
frames). If you're only loading every other frame, then you can get by
with half as much memory as the size of the DCD file, and so on.
In order to help with this, I plan to make VMD a bit smarter and issue
a warning on operating systems that provide a mechanism for querying the
amount of free memory, so that VMD can warn people when they are
about to do something that probably won't work out for the best.

  John